Who is this for?
Heads of Catering, Head chefs, Catering managers, Development Chefs, any delegate seeking to enhance their skills.
Why should I take part?
This development day offers delegates working in the catering sector the opportunity to experience the world-famous Billingsgate Fish Market first hand, led by an experienced Billingsgate fishmonger. Start the day on the trading floor opening your eyes to impressive selection of fish and shellfish products from around the globe. Keep up to date with the current market trends and prices with a focus on seasonality and sustainability. After a kipper's breakfast, the rest of the morning is spent hands on, preparing a wide selection of flat and round fish to trade specifications, learning how to perfectly fillet a fish with minimum wastage. The day will also include a talk on sustainable fish sourcing from an MSC representative, and a representative from Direct Seafoods will also attend ready to answer any questions you may have. Networking plays a large role on this study tour, offering delegates an opportunity to meet like-minded chefs and swap stories and cost saving ideas between institutions. The last session of the day will be a cooking opportunity, chefs will use the fish they have filleted themselves in the last session, to come up with a recipe of their own using the knowledge gained from the day and a large selection of additional ingredients.
Tip: Bring an empty tub with you, there is usually lots of high-quality fillets of fish left over at the end of the day for you to take home.
How will it help me?
During the event, you will...
- Gain hands on experience at filleting and cooking different fish
- Experience the Billingsgate Fish Market at its peak selling time with a guided market tour and behind the scenes opportunity.
- Network with like-minded TUCO members, developing new and exciting menus to take back to your own institution which can enhance sales and reduce costs.
- Meet with representatives from Direct Seafoods and MSC to enhance your knowledge of sourcing and acting in a sustainabe manner.
- Sample some of the most popular fish and also discover some of the less known fish on sale at Billingsgate Market.
Following the event, you will...
- Have a greater understanding of sustainable fish sourcing
- Understand the importance of sustainable sourcing
- Be able to create new menus with lesser known but delicious fish
- Entrance to Billingsgate Market
- Guided tour of the market led by an experienced fishmonger
- Kippers Breakfast
- Hands on fish filleting masterclass and cooking opportunity
- Meeting with MSC on sustainable fish sourcing
- Dinner at Zerosette Restaurants with drinks the evening before the training
- Networking opportunity with Direct Seafoods during dinner (dinner courtesy of TUCO and Direct Seafoods)
- Accommodation the evening before the training at Premier Inn, London Docklands
Please view a provisional itinerary here. Please note, this is subject to change. Final itineraries will be uploaded to your Dashboard approx. 1 week prior to Tour commencement.