Who is this for?
Professional Chefs at all levels
Why should I take part?
Forward Food is a campaign launched by The Humane Society of the United States and its international affiliate, Humane Society International, to encourage and enable food-service providers to shift the focus of their menus away from animal products and put more plant foods on plates. Through Forward Food you can:
Create and deliver tailored culinary training workshops run by professional chefs, to equip chefs with the knowledge and inspiration to create more delicious plant-based dishes;
Offer companies advice on implementing menu changes and marketing more plant-based dishes;
Support companies in monitoring and evaluating the positive impacts of a shift away from animal products, including reductions in greenhouse gas emissions.
This tailored culinary workshop will equip chefs with the knowledge and inspiration to create more delicious plant-based dishes. Making menus more plant-focused will make them more inclusive, as well as cost effective.
This 'hands-on' Development Day gives professional chefs the opportunity to develop their skills and their menu offerings through a unique cooking learning experience. Forward Food will be working with TUCO to show you how to create meat free dishes that can be recreated in your own kitchens back at your institution.
How will it help me?
During the event, you will…
• Learn new, on-trend, meat-free recipes that will appeal to students and can be produced in large quantities.
• Explore Umami: finding that elusive savoury note and creating depth of flavour to satisfy meat-eaters and vegans alike; the wonders of fermentation.
• Create texture without using animal products: such as replicating the creaminess of dairy, the sensation of a bite of meat and binding without eggs.
• Develop delicious vegan and vegetarian dishes using a variety of techniques and ingredients.
Following the event, you will…
• Be able to introduce new and exciting vegan and plant-based items to your menus
• Have developed new and exciting ideas to take back to your own institution which can enhance sales
• A talk by Charlie Huson on food sustainability and the Humane Society International
• A hands on cooking masterclass by Chef Jenny Chandler
• An introduction to new ingredients and how to source and use them
• All ingredients required for the practical cooking sessions
• Materials such as recipes to take back to your institution
• All refreshments and lunch.
What’s not included?
Anything not listed on the itinerary including, but not limited to:
• Travel to and from the tour
Download a provisional itinerary here. Please note, this is subject to change. Final itineraries will be uploaded to your Dashboard approx. 1 week prior to Tour commencement.
Summer Row Campus,
University College Birmingham,