With sustainable food consumption on the rise, veganism is currently one of the biggest food trends in the world. More people than ever before are adding plant-based meals into their diet, and it has never been easier (or tastier) to do so. Join us on 6 August 2020 at 2pm for a virtual vegan cook-along and plant-based nutrition talk, presented by HSI/UK’s Sean Mackenney and chef Jenny Chandler, and Dr. Shireen Kassam, Founder and Director of Plant-based health professionals UK.
Sean Mackenney from HSI/UK will provide an overview of the Forward Food program and introduce the four upcoming webinar sessions based on the toolkits from the live TUCO vegan workshop.
Sean is joined by Dr. Shireen Kassam, a Consultant Haematologist and Honorary Senior Lecturer at King’s College Hospital, who is passionate about promoting plant-based nutrition for the prevention and reversal of chronic diseases and for maintaining optimal health after treatment for cancer. Dr. Kassam is a qualified medical doctor and Lifestyle Medicine Physician, who founded Plant-based health professionals UK in 2017. Since then she has been appointed as Visiting Professor of Plant-Based Nutrition at Winchester University with the aim of producing high quality educational material and courses. She is also a member of the Research Advisory Committee for the Vegan Society. For this workshop, Dr. Kassam will present an overview of the benefits of a plant-based diet and answer any questions from the audience pertaining to vegan nutrition.
After we’ve discovered WHY plant-based food boasts various health benefits, HSI/UK’s Forward Food Chef Jenny Chandler will put the theory into practise by showing us HOW to create an easy and tasty plant-based meal: Bean Burgers with picked beetroot and a tangy tahini cream. Chef Jenny is the recipe developer and culinary trainer for HSI/UK’s Forward Food program and author of four cookbooks. She has worked for various caterers, in restaurants, as an international restaurant consultant, on a cruise liner, as a caterer herself, and most recently as an author and teacher.
This 90-minute virtual session will include:
- Introduction to HSI/UK and Forward Food
- A discussion with Dr. Kassam on plant-based nutrition
- Q&A on plant-based nutrition (please add your question to the booking form)
- A plant-based cook-a-long with Chef Jenny Chandler, based on Flavour, Texture, Seasonal or Whole Foods. *Note: Ingredients and utensils required posted below
If you are participating in the cook-a-long, please have the following ingredients prepped and ready as described below - i.e. onion already diced, garlic already crushed, beetroot already grated from whole, save the stalks and leaves (no need to peel just scrub well) etc.
Bean Burgers (Makes 10)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 300 g grated beetroot (carrot/celeriac/zucchini/squash)
- 250 g black beans or a 1 x 400 g can drained (borlotti, cannellini, butter beans also work well)
- 1 tsp coriander & cumin seeds- roasted and ground
- 1 bunch parsley
- 3 sprigs dill
- 80 g rolled oats or breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
To add ( at least couple of these ingredients listed below)
- Mustard - grainy /Dijon
- Sweet smoked paprika
- Nutritional yeast
- Ground seaweed such as dulse, kelp
- Dried mushrooms - particularly porcini
Quick Pickled Beetroot stalks
- Stems from 2 - 3 beetroot
- 1 crisp apple
- 1 green chilli , optional
- 4 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp black custard seeds
- 100 ml cider vinegar
- Black pepper & a pinch of salt.
- 5 tablespoons tahini
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp water
- Pinch salt
- Chopping board + knife
- Large bowl
- 2 small bowls
- Wooden Spoon
- 2 Trays
- Kitchen paper
- 2 small Saucepans
- Frying pan
- Fish slice or palette knife
- Plate to serve.