Wednesday 2nd December 4.30-6pm
This will be the first of a series of APPG meetings exploring key issues and debates in food policy, to inform the development of Henry Dimbleby’s independent National Food Strategy (@food_strategy) and the Government’s response to the strategy.
At this meeting will be discussing food policy governance.
- What structures are needed in Government to ensure that a new food strategy is effectively delivered?
- What is needed in terms of leadership?
- And what are the best ways of achieving accountability for actions in the strategy?
Simon Maxwell, Senior Research Associate at the Overseas Development Institute. Simon is the former Director of the Overseas Development Institute (ODI) and sat on the board of the International Food Policy Research Institute from 2013-2018 (@SimonMaxwell001)
Opening remarks from:
Jo Gideon, Chair of the APPG on the National Food Strategy and MP for Stoke-on-Trent Central (@jogideon)
Andrew Jarvis, Vice-President at ICF International. In his former role in the Prime Minister’s Strategy Unit, Andrew led a review of UK food policy culminating in the 2008 report, Food Matters: Towards a Strategy for the 21st Century
We will then take comments and questions from MPs, followed a panel discussion on which Andrew will be joined by speakers from academia, local food governance and politics:
- Kelly Parsons – Academic researcher focussed on the role of policy and governance structures in food systems (@thefoodrules)
- Jane Corbett - Councillor for Liverpool City Council, Assistant Mayor of Liverpool & Mayoral Lead - Fairness & Tackling Poverty
- Claire Pritchard - Chair of the London Food Board and CEO of Greenwich Cooperative Development Agency, GCDA (@ClairePritcha11)
You can sign-up to attend the meeting here.